Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shhh....It's a Surprise!




We celebrated 50 years of my mom's life! I started planning in March for her birthday in May. I decided a surprise was definitely in order. I had in my mind an idea for what I wanted to do, so little by little I got it all together. I wanted to keep it colorful, fun and summery, so I avoided the black/grey/silver cliches. My aunts were a big help with most of the food: Chile Colorado (my mom's favorite, and one of mine), chile con queso, Abby's rice: I don't know what this dish is technically called, but it is the bomb. Rice mixed with sour cream and corn topped with chiles and cheese. DELISH. Chips, salsa, quac, and lets not forget my mom's other fave: WINE. haha. I was left with desserts and punch. I had invited the family of course, but also a lot of friends and co-workers. Unfortunately, not many could make it, but we had a good handful. Also, this was in the middle of May. My aunt has an awesome backyard and I was so excited to do it outside, but of course, it was raining. Either way it was fun. My mom is really awesome. She is always giving of her time and talents. She is an awesome "Kika" to my boys, and they adore her. She is fun and active and fun to be around. If anyone deserves a celebration, it is her. For her gift I made her a book, which I will have to post pictures of later, but it was a fun project for me. I little by little got learn about my mother's child hood, teen years and into adulthood. Some things I learned: my mom's grandmother, brother, and father all died in the same year (1970) My mother lived in a convent for a while. My mom was a daddy's girl, possibly the favorite (shhh). My mom moved to the States kind of on a whim. She had come to visit her sister and decided not to go home. One of her fist jobs was selling encyclopedias, and (so she says) everyone was jealous of her. Ha! That really made me laugh. My grandma traded their home with someone in the city (after my grandpa had passed away). She changed her mind and was able to trade back.

I think she may have been tipped off in the end, but oh well, it was fun!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This looked SO awesome! Great job!! Do you hire out for party planning?

The Blanchard Family said...

It looks awesome, Ang! Love it! Koco definitely does deserve a fabulous 50! I never realized how much of your mom there is in Owen until I saw that pic of them together...there are some real similarities! Looks like it was a hit! Happy B-day Koco!

Nesting with Grace said...

Looks soooo cute! Love the colors and the black and white photo in the white frame :) the cake is darling too with the fancy desingner candles! What a thoughtful daughter you are!