Friday, June 13, 2008

Book Club Recap "The Host"

This month we read THE HOST which was the first adult fiction novel of Stephanie Meyer. NOT impressed. I did go into this with a little chip on my shoulder because I was not a fan of TWILIGHT. With TWILIGHT I had a hard time getting past the writing and just enjoying the storyline. It is also a little sappy for my taste, so I say not the best book ever, like some may assume because there are SO MANY fans. People are CRAZY about this book. I just couldn't do it. THE HOST on the other hand I do have to give the author credit, I feel was written much much better. Maybe that is the "adult" fiction coming into play? Unfortunately, I am BORED OUT OF MY MIND. There are a few things that I see coming (I haven't finished it, but I will, I am committed) but I at the same time I am really wondering "Where is this going?" She has been in these caves for an eternity and blah blah....I'm bored.

So, I do think I will finish the TWILIGHT series, I am told it gets better, but I feel I should join in on this social movement that Utah seems to be going through.

A couple of changes in the schedule....Instead of THE WINNER in September, we will be reading A NEW EARTH by Eckhart Tolle. I've already started this book...there are many truths in this, but it is DEEP. I think it will make for a good discussion.

Thanks Lindsay for hosting, and I will be dreaming about those mushrooms for the rest of my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are going to give the rest of the Twilight series a chance...I hope it gets better for you! I agree with your recap of the HOST I was so bored and ended up skimming a good part of the book just to finish!

Brittany said...

I also agree, the ending was predictable. I was thinking if she would have taken out a couple hundred pages of cave stuff it could have been good.

Rachel said...

I know what you mean about staying "relevant socially" by reading the Twilight books.. but I know what you mean on the sappiness strain.. unfortunately her realtionships get only sappier, but I hope you read it and come to the midnight showing with us!! and yes, those mushrooms were awesome.. I think I had 15.

Nesting with Grace said...

I am with ya girl! That was fun...it will be even better when I have actually finished the book!

Abes and Stace said...

Hi you guys,

I don't know if you care to ever get into our blog or not, but just so ya know we are changing ours to private. If you want me to email you the link to grant you access, just email me so I have your email address to send the link. My email is staceymehl@hotmail.com.
Thanks!
PS - I LOVED the twilight series, but book #2 was really slow to me so I was glad when #3 got me excited again. I guess I'm a sucker for the dark vampire type! I was hooked and read them all in 3 days.
Take care!